Vehicle Auction Grading
- Grade 7, 8, 9 or S is given to a new car that is being sold in an auction, with only delivery mileage.
- Grade 6 Similar to the cars above but with a little more than delivery mileage.
- Grade 5 to a car with exceptionally low mileage and in mint condition.
- Grade 4.5 is in excellent condition, but can also have mileage of up to 100K.
- Grade 4 is a good, solid car. Mileage is not an issue (could be low or high).
- Grade 3.5 is similar to a grade 4 but may need more paint and panel work. Alternatively, it may have high mileage.
- Grade 3 often has either serious paint and panel, or it has had a panel replacement somewhere.
- Grade 2 is reserved for vehicles in the worst condition. This does not mean that they are write offs, simply that they have experienced deterioration such that they are now in a very poor state. A grade 2 vehicle will often have corrosion, perhaps corrosion holes and other serious issues. If you are looking for “classic” and other older cars or older trucks and buses, you will find a number of them are grade 2.
- Grade 1 Can be one of the following.
- After market turbo / engine (some sort of serious modification to the original vehicle).
- Transmission changed from auto to manual.
- Grade A, R, RA are repair history cars. The auctions definition of “repair history” is a car that has had an inside panel repaired in some way. This can range from extremely minor to major.
Auction Sheet of Condemned vehicle
A1 Small Scratch
A3 Big Scratch
B - Dent with scratch
E1 Few Dimples
E2 Several Dimples
E3 Many Dimples
U1 Small Dent
U3 Big Dent
W1 Repair Mark/Wave (hardly detectable)
W2 Repair Mark/Wave
W3 Obvious Repair Mark/Wave (needs to be repainted)
S2 Heavy Rust
C2 Heavy Corrosion
P - Paint marked
H - Paint faded
X Need to be replaced
B1 Distortion on (radiator) core support or back panel (approximately size of a thumb)
B2 Big Distortion on (radiator) core support or back panel
Y1 Small Hole or Crack
Y2 Hole or Crack
Y3 Big Hole or Crack
X1 Small Crack on Windshield (approximately 1cm)
R Repaired Crack on Windshield
RX Repaired Crack on Windshield (needs to be replaced)
X Crack on Windshield (needs to be replaced)
G - Stone chip in glass